Today’s photo is of the main staircase in the Cleveland Trust Company rotunda.The Cleveland Trust Company was established in 1894. In 1903 Cleveland Trust merged with the Western Reserve Trust Co. and in 1908 it built a new headquarters bldg. at E. 9th and Euclid. This building is still there today but it is now called the Ameritrust Building. By 1977 The Cleveland Trust Company had 120 branches, $5 billion in assets and it managed $7 billion in trust funds for its clients. CleveTrust changed its name to the AmeriTrust Corp. in 1979 and became part of Society Bank in 1991. Three years later Society merged with KeyCorp making it the nation’s 11th largest bank.
For more information about the Cleveland Trust Company please visit: http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=A8
Today’s Quote: “The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.” – Alexis de Tocqueville